When you think of Walt Disney World, you may think of magic, adventure, and fairy tales, but did you know that there are some facts about Disney World that will completely shock you? Some of these facts may even sound fake, but believe it or not, they’re true. We’ve compiled 20 of these surprising facts about Disney World that will make you say, “really?”
Keep reading to learn about some of the most intriguing and unbelievable Disney World facts out there.
1. The property of Disney World is larger than the entire city of San Francisco. It has more than 25,000 acres!
2. Every night, thousands of fireworks are set off at Disney World. This is the largest regular fireworks show in the world.
3. Disney World has its own government. The Reedy Creek Improvement District is responsible for managing the cities within the property.
4. Approximately 32,000 acres of the property is designated as a wildlife preserve. Disney World is home to more than 300 species of wildlife.
5. Cinderella Castle is made up of 600 tons of steel.
6. Disney World has its own trading currency called Disney Dollars that can only be used within the parks and resorts.
7. The Magic Kingdom is the single most visited theme park in the world, with more than 20 million visitors each year.
8. There is a massive underground tunnel system called the Utilidor that spans the entire Magic Kingdom. This allows the park staff to move without being seen by visitors.
9. Disney World has a horticulture team that creates more than 3 million bedding plants each year.
10. EPCOT’s Spaceship Earth is the largest geodesic dome in the world, standing at 180 feet tall and weighing in at over 16 million pounds.
11. Guests at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge can wake up to find themselves face to face with live giraffes and zebras.
12. The Walt Disney World Railroad has a replica of a steam engine from the 1880s.
13. Disney World is built upon a swamp. The sheer size of each park makes it impossible to completely drain and dry the land.
14. The newly renovated Pop Century resort features larger-than-life icons from the ’50s, ’60s, ’70s, ’80s, and ’90s, such as a giant Rubik’s Cube, 90’s laptop, and foosball players.
15. There are more than 70,000 employees at Disney World, making it the largest single-site employer in the United States.
16. The Liberty Bell replica at the Magic Kingdom was cast from the same mold as the original.
17. Disney World’s monorail system has been in continuous operation since it opened in 1971.
18. The Walt Disney World Resort encompasses 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and over 30 resort hotels.
19. On a typical day, Disney World sells more than 200 different varieties of snacks.
20. Every year, Disney World guests consume over 10 million hamburgers and over 6 million hot dogs.
Looking for even more? We asked Twitter to name a Disney fact that sounds fake but isn’t and we got very interesting answers! Here are some of our favorites:
Jim Cummings who voiced Hondo Ohnaka for Star Wars also voiced Winnie the Pooh and Tigger@SixMilesTall
You can get a haircut at the Magic Kingdom for $21 (at Harmony Barber Shop)@DemarkeDavid
There was a lingerie shop on Main St USA at Disneyland@TheMaxReboIV
The Tower of Terror at DHS is exactly 199 ft tall.
This is bc if it was 200ft it would need those blinking red lights to warn airplanes.@GccN8thegr8
John Lennon broke up the Beatles as a legal entity at Disney World@hihothadsilver
Walt Disney World was never planned to have the Walt added. In Haunted Mansion some of the props are still labeled Disney World as they were created at the same time as the CA version of the ride.@PlaidSir
Disney World truly is a place of magic and wonder, but it also has a rich history and hidden secrets that many people may not know about. From the massive underground tunnel system to thousands of fireworks being set off every night, it’s clear that Disney World is truly one of a kind. Next time you visit the park, think about these fun facts and appreciate all of the work that goes into creating such a magical experience.