Epcot, the second Walt Disney World Resort theme park, opened Oct. 1, 1982 — 11 years after the Magic Kingdom debuted. The 305-acre park, identified by its iconic Spaceship Earth geodesic sphere, features two distinct areas. Future World is a showcase of discovery filled with new ideas and technology, plus an exploration of planet Earth from land and sea to air and space. World Showcase is a kaleidoscope of nations featuring architecturally authentic buildings and backdrops that celebrate their cultural heritage, arts and entertainment. The 11 nations plus an African-themed Outpost are situated along a 1.3-mile promenade encircling the 40-acre World Showcase Lagoon.
Epcot Rides & Attractions
- Advanced Training Lab
- Bruce’s Shark World
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Disney Phineas and Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic RewindOpening Early 2021!
- ImageWorks – The “What If” Labs
- Journey Into Imagination With Figment
- Leave A Legacy
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE
- Project Tomorrow: Inventing the Wonders of the Future
- Soarin’ Around the World
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends
- Turtle Talk With Crush
- American Heritage Gallery
- Bijutsu-kan Gallery
- Frozen Ever After
- Gallery of Arts and History
- Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
- House of the Whispering Willows
- Impressions de France
- Kidcot Fun Stops
- Mexico Folk Art Gallery
- O Canada!
- Reflections of China
- Remy’s Ratatouille AdventureOpening Summer 2020!
- Stave Church Gallery
- The American Adventure
The entertainment lineup in Future World and World Showcase depends on the day of the week. Performances may include The Jeweled Dragon Acrobats in China, the Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps at The American Adventure, Mariachi Cobre band at Mexico or Sergio, the Italian mime/clown and juggler and others.
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth (every night at World Showcase Lagoon) – Lasers, lights, fountains and fireworks are set to a musical score above the lagoon, where the show’s Earth Globe floats and opens like a lotus flower to reveal a gigantic torch.
Food and Beverage
Future World Restaurants: Innoventions: Electric Umbrella and Fountain View; The Land: Sunshine Seasons and The Garden Grill; The Seas with Nemo & Friends: Coral Reef Restaurant.
World Showcase Restaurants: Mexico: San Angel Inn Restaurante, La Hacienda de San Angel, La Cantina de San Angel, La Cava del Tequila; Norway: Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall and Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe; China: Nine Dragons Restaurant and Lotus Blossom Café; Germany: Biergarten Restaurant and Sommerfest; Italy: Tutto Italia Ristorante, Via Naoli Ristorante e Pizzeria and Tutto Gusto Wine Celler; American Adventure: Liberty Inn and Fife & Drum Tavern; Japan: Teppan Edo, Tokyo Dining, Katsura Grill and Kabuki Café; Morocco: Restaurant Marrakesh and Tangierine Café; France: Chefs de France, Monsieur Paul, Les Halles Boulangerie & Patisserie and L’Artisan des Glaces; United Kingdom: Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room and Yorkshire County Fish Shop; Canada: Le Cellier Steakhouse.
- Epcot International Festival of the Arts – Phenomenal artists, gourmet fare, musical performances, stage productions and more fill this rich cultural celebration of the arts mid-January through mid-February.
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival – 90 days of floral fantasy, Disney character topiaries, gardening seminars, Flower Power concerts and more; early March through mid-May.
- Sounds Like Summer – Classic pop hits with tribute bands at America Gardens Theatre in June and July.
- Epcot International Food & Wine Festival – 53 days of food, wine, beer and cocktail tastings, seminars, grand dining events, Eat to the Beat concerts and more; late September through mid-November.
- Holidays Around the World – Candlelight Processional, holiday storytelling and festive displays; late November through December.
Park Entrances: Epcot has two entrances. The original entrance is convenient to the parking area and monorail station (the monorail runs between Epcot and Magic Kingdom Transportation and Ticket Center three miles to the north). The International Gateway entrance opened in 1990 between the United Kingdom and France pavilions in World Showcase, providing park access to guests staying in Epcot resort area hotels — Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Disney’s Beach Club Resort, Disney’s BoardWalk, Walt Disney World Swan and Walt Disney World Dolphin.
Walt Disney envisioned a showcase for innovation, a place to celebrate human achievement and where people could experience the cutting edge of technology. On Oct. 1, 1978, Card Walker — then president of Walt Disney Productions — revealed plans for Epcot, a theme park inspired by Walt’s philosophies. A groundbreaking ceremony was held one year later and Epcot opened in 1982. The debut of Innoventions in 1994 marked an exciting addition to the Epcot experience. This evolving technology exposition gives Epcot guests an opportunity to explore the latest inventions and innovations that may change the way they live their lives.